Mass Communication Week at Texas State

January 23, 2017

Justyne Bernal poses with Boko the Texas State mascot during Mass Communication Week.

The Magnet Tribune: Yanira Sanchez

On October 27, 2016, I had the chance to attend Mass Communication Week at Texas State University. This trip really opened my eyes towards media and all the great things it has to offer.

First, we had an interactive session with Elaine Aradillas. She is a crime reporter for PEOPLE magazine in New York City. Listening to her speak about her job got my adrenaline running. I became so driven while learning about being a crime reporter and all the experiences that come with it. The reason why I will not forget her is because her passion for her job was so inspiring to me.

Then, we went on a campus tour of Texas State. It was a different feeling around these college students, all in their own little worlds. As were walking through this tour, I observed so many different kinds of students. I could not believe how beautiful this university was. It was nothing like I expected it to be. I felt as if this university was a whole new city.

I had many opportunities at this trip that left a mark on me. Mass Communication Week gave me a sense of direction towards majoring in communications.”

— Justyne Bernal

I believe that the best part of Mass Communication Week was being able to see where the University Star is written and where KTSW 89.9 FM is aired. When we walked in, I had never seen anything like this place. This is where I was so amused by how many people were interested in the same type of areas as I am. There were students writing, editing, talking, and more. It gave me a great and positive vibe being around these people although I didn’t know them.

Going to Texas State not only allowed me to view more of what we are able to do with communications, but it gave me the chance to meet new people. I got to meet students who major in communications. Over lunch they shared their college experiences, and how Texas State made them feel at home.

After, we were able to tour one of the residential halls. This gave me a sight of how college dorms look like.

In addition, we had a presentation from admissions. I realized that there are many opportunities for students from study halls to clubs. I learned about all the different types of organizations I never knew they had in universities.

I was so happy at the fact that these people impacted my outlook on what I want to do when I grow up. As soon as we arrived at Old Main, I felt welcomed and excited not even knowing what day was ahead of me.

At the end of the day, I had many opportunities at this trip that left a mark on me. Mass Communication Week gave me a sense of direction towards majoring in communications.

The Magnet Tribune: Yanira Sanchez
Justyne Bernal and Belen Silva of outside Texas State.

The Magnet Tribune: Yadira Sanchez
Image at LBJ Center at Texas State University.

The Magnet Tribune: Justyne Bernal
Image of courtyard in front of the LBJ Student Center.

The Magnet Tribune: Justyne Bernal
Students that attended Mass Communication Week.

The Magnet Tribune: Yanira Sanchez
Justyne Bernal poses with communication student at Texas State University’s Fitness Center.

The Magnet Tribune: Yanira Sanchez