The concert life

Incubus concert in Austin, TX

Incubus concert in Austin, TX

The Magnet Tribune: Zoe Alvarez

The Magnet Tribune: Zoe Alvarez

Incubus concert in Austin, TX

Zoe Alvarez, Staff Writer

I love everything about concerts. If I could, I would go to a concert every chance I get.

To a music lover, it’s addicting.”

— Zoe Alvarez

Concerts are to be attended frequently, in my opinion. The excitement of the show and the feeling you leave with is truly amazing.

The eagerness to see all the tour merch the band has; a tradition my family and I have is buying a tour shirt from every concert with the tour dates on the back. Each is a token of remembrance for every concert you go to. You can even have some snacks depending on the venue. The before-concert-vibes are just the best. You suddenly feel happier and energetic. Everyone is walking around with different band shirts, and you get to see what type of crowd the band attracts. You’d be surprised at what type of people you’ll see at a concert: from the hardcore rockers to the young alternative college kids. Every crowd and fanbase is unique to the band.

Everyone gets a thrill when the lights shut off, and it is suddenly pitch black signaling the start of the show. When you’re in a concert your senses are put to use. Visually, you take in so much: Be the lights, the stage, the crowd, and the performers. Your ears are filled with the sound of the music. The beats of the bass and drums can even be felt in your chest. There is no better feeling than when your favorite song is played live in front of you by the actual band. It is exhilarating when the music is so loud you can’t even hear yourself.

It is exhilarating when the music is so loud you can’t even hear yourself.”

— Zoe Alvarez

There is always that one song where all the lights are off and the little light illuminating from the crowd’s cellphones light up the stadium. On the floor and in general admission, you see and hear everything up close, an experience that is truly unforgettable. The whole atmosphere itself is remarkable. It seems as if all your worries and problems just fade away. It’s a whole other world filled with lights and loud music, and everyone is moving to the beat. It is the right medicine when you feel down. Emotionally, mentally, and physically you reach an overall high.  I recommend it 100%.

I was eleven when I went to my first concert. My parents wanted us to begin a life in music. It was The Red Hot Chili Peppers on their “I’m With You Tour”. I can’t remember much of the details, but it was a rock concert, which meant loud music and a nice crowd filled with dedicated fans. I remember the crazy college kids that sat behind us jumping up and down during every song with a never-ending energy. The concert was loud, and the band did great. I had so much fun. March 6, 2012, was the day I became hooked on concerts.

After that, I saw U2 during their “Innocence+Experinece Tour” at the United Center in Chicago, IL on July 2, 2015. This concert was a once-in-a-lifetime deal.  I had looked forward to this concert my whole 7th-grade year. If you don’t know, U2 is an internationally-known iconic band. At the concert, they had music playing loudly on the speakers as we waited for the show to start. Suddenly, the lights shut off and the room was silent. The crowd then began to scream and shout with excitement. Bono, the lead singer, walked through the crowd to get onto the stage. He sang the first lyrics of their hit song, “The Miracle (of Joey Ramone)”, to which the audience began to sing along. He continued the lyrics and paused, raising his arm and the microphone. The audience then replied by singing the verse back to him. It was a beautiful thing. The stadium was filled with the sound of the crowd’s singing. Their performance included songs that were written in times of war and despair in Ireland; it was those songs that made me emotional.

-it was those songs that made me emotional.”

— Zoe Alvarez

Their stage was also custom made and lit up with a large screen over the stage that had symbols, memorials, and clips from their music videos. The performance was phenomenal. They played my favorite song “Every Breaking Wave” acoustically.  Along with my favorite song, their set list was most of the songs my family and I loved. They were incredible live, and I was so amazed to see them.

A year later, we went to see Twenty One Pilots during their “Emotional Roadshow” world tour in Oklahoma City, OK on July 9, 2016. Twenty One Pilots is my all-time favorite band.

The Magnet Tribune: Zoe Alvarez
Twenty one pilots concert in Oklahoma City, OK

To be able to see them was mind-blowing. This concert was unique because it was an outdoor concert and general admission. This meant it was all standing and no reserved spots. We were there early to avoid the line, but we still waited for two hours in a line that was almost a mile long. Along with us, 9,000 other fans were at the concert.  The band members, Tyler Joseph and Josh Dunn, were one of the most dynamic performers I’ve ever seen. They did back flips and front flips on and off the stage. The drummer, Josh Dunn, even did a backflip off the piano. The concert was incredibly interactive. Many times Tyler Joseph would jump or run into the crowd.  He even ran to the back of the crowd and performed a set in the backstage as well. During the song “Holding On To You” he got into a large hamster ball and ran through the crowd. Everyone knew the lyrics to the songs. It was like attending a mass at a gospel church. The stage was lit up, and the screen full of clips from music videos and such. There were even songs played on the piano itself. The last song was “Trees”. The song had the crowd jumping for minutes on end. Everyone gave their heart and soul to the final song.

Everyone gave their heart and soul to the final song”

— Zoe Alvarez

The lights were brighter; the music was louder; the feelings were stronger. It was exhilarating. Twenty One Pilots gave us a performance we will always remember.

Twenty-one days later we saw Blink-182 in San Antonio TX, during their “Bored to Death Tour”. As previously mentioned, every band attracts a different type of crowd. Blink-182 had a rock-grunge crowd. Everyone wore black leather jackets, boots, etc. Lots of girls were wearing black lipstick and heavy dark eyeshadow. There was an abundance of rock and emo band shirts worn by fans. The performance was amazing. Their hit song, “Bored to Death,” was such an experience. I had listened to their recent album since the start of freshmen year, so hearing it live was unforgettable. Their recent music was more upbeat and alternative. As for their old music, it was loud and strong and mostly associated with grunge teenage rock.

The Magnet Tribune: Zoe Alvarez
Blink-182 concert in San Antonio, TX

In the fall, we also saw Maroon 5 during their North American Tour 2016 (9-3-16). This was my Christmas gift in 2015. Maroon 5, whether you like them or not, are iconic. It was so exciting to see them live. Since I was a kid, I listened to their music, and the show was truly astonishing. They played all my favorite songs. Adam Levine’s vocals were incredible. In middle school, I listened to most of their songs from the album V. It was nothing but pure joy when they played all the hit songs from that album. The guitar riffs could be felt in your chest! They even played “She Will Be Loved” acoustically. The lights were off, and everyone’s cellphone’s flashlight lit up the stadium. It made most of us cry. Everyone sang along with Adam Levine, and it was truly magical.

The Magnet Tribune: Zoe Alvarez
Maroon 5 concert in San Antonio, TX

In November, we saw Adele during her 2016 World Tour in Austin (11-5-16). Yes, the Adele! This was also a Christmas present. I was a fan of Adele ever since I was little. I knew all the lyrics by heart. Her new album was out after a long hiatus. All her concerts were sold out or selling out fast. It was amazing we that even got to see her. The concert started with her singing her hit song “Hello”. The audience was screaming loud for her. She was hidden behind the stage as she began the song by repeating the word “hello” with her voice lower each time. The lights then shut off, and there she was standing in a gorgeous shimmering black dress looking stunning under the spotlight.

The lights then shut off, and there she was standing in a gorgeous shimmering black dress looking stunning under the spotlight.”

— Zoe Alvarez

The song itself was powerful. When she started singing the chorus, her vocals rang through the whole stadium. One might say she sounded better live than on her digital tracks. From her upbeat songs that everyone sang along to, to her sad heartbreaking love songs that brought the audience to tears, she did spectacularly. Her voice was strong and unbreaking. The music along with her voice was breathtaking. It was an extraordinary performance and one that everyone will remember.

The Magnet Tribune: Zoe Alvarez
Adele concert in Austin, TX

Seven days later we saw Black Sabbath for during final tour in San Antonio, TX (11-12-16). Black Sabbath is your classic hard rock band, an iconic band I got to see before they stopped touring. It was exciting. Rock concerts tend to give me more adrenaline. The crowd was much older along with a few young fans, but nonetheless hard rock fans. Black Sabbath was one of the loudest concerts I’ve ever been to. I definitely felt the guitar and drums in my chest. We left the concert with muffled hearing. I was amazed to see Ozzy Osborne live in concert.

The Magnet Tribune: Zoe Alvarez
Black Sabbath concert in San Antonio, TX

In the summer, we saw Iron Maiden during their “Book of Souls Tour” in San Antonio, TX (6-24-17). Iron Maiden is also another classic iconic rock band. It was a spur-of-the-moment type of concert. Iron Maiden had an older crowd as well (not that there’s anything wrong with it), but there were still many young fans. The tour shirts were amazing. They had a tour shirt that was unique to San Antonio. We got those tour shirts instead of the original. Iron Maiden’s concert was just incredible. I had listened to a few of their songs as a kid, which meant I knew the lyrics by heart. The lead singer, Bruce Dickinson, was everywhere! He was jumping up and around the stage, especially while carrying the British flag in his hands. When they played “The Trooper” everyone was screaming. It was that guitar rift that filled the stadium with an energy like no other. The audience was singing along to the song. The energy in the room was incredibly dynamic. My hearing was once again muffled by the loud performance.

The Magnet Tribune: Zoe Alvarez
Iron Maiden concert in San Antonio, TX

In July, we then saw Metallica during their worldwide tour in Orlando, FL (7-5-17).

The Magnet Tribune: Zoe Alvarez
Metallica concert in Orlando, FL

Metallica is one of the most iconic rock bands out there. The concert was absolutely incredible. I was thrilled to see Metallica live. 80,000 people went to see Metallica live that night. They played every song my brother and I had listened to as kids. Their new album, “Hard Wired to Self-Destruct” was amazing to see live. There was even a lightning storm looming over us during the concert. The set was grand with the lightning bolts standing tall and the fire that would burn lighting up the sky. We were close enough to feel the heat of the fire on our skin. The performance was a complete 12 on a scale of 1-10. I had a great time rocking out to Metallica. It was almost strange. I was actually watching Metallica live and in person.  The vocals, the guitar, the drums, everything was so amazing.

A month later we saw Incubus at their “8” tour in Austin, TX (8-5-17). Incubus is a band with a unique sound. To me, all I need is a guitar rift and I know it’s them. I loved their new album “8”. It all started when I was leaving my guitar lessons. Their song “Nimble Bastard” was playing on the radio. It was quite catchy in my opinion. My family and I then started to listen to the whole album. The album had many songs I started to love. This concert had one of the best lineups in my opinion. The two opening bands were Judah and The Lion and Jimmy Eat World. Both were incredible live. Judah Akers, the lead singer of Judah and The Lion, ran into me while performing his songs in the backstage area. I guess you can say I saw him up close. Jimmy Eat World played their hit songs to which everyone sang along too. They also did a killer performance of “Mr. Brightside” by The Killers. It was such a great set-up. By nightfall, it was Incubus’s turn to take the stage, and they made sure their presence was known. The crowd was screaming in excitement. The night was then filled with lights from the stage. They played their first song to which everyone was jumping up and down to. The outdoor venue was loud with sound. It was liberating.

The Magnet Tribune: Zoe Alvarez
Incubus concert in Austin, TX

We then saw Green Day in September (9-10-17). Just like the other bands, I listened to Green Day a lot as a kid. I knew most of the songs and lyrics. When “Revolution Radio” came out, my family and I were surprised to see what path Green Day was taking. Green was exciting. We made sure to get there early before the tour shirts ran out. The concert started on strong and everyone was energetic. Billie Joe Armstrong was a great performer and entertainer. He made the crowd laugh and enjoy their time. They performed all their iconic hits: “Basket case”, “American Idiot”, etc. They played “Boulevard of Broken Dreams” acoustically. This song was dedicated to all the people who had lost everything in Hurricane Harvey in Houston. Not only was the concert a great music experience, it was also powerful. They mentioned all the wrong with politics and the world. He made powerful statements that mentioned homophobia, racism, sexism, and much more. The concert was such an experience to live out.

The Magnet Tribune: Zoe Alvarez
Green Day concert in San Antonio, TX

In October we went to Austin City Limits on the last day. Austin City Limits is a music festival held in Austin in October. There we saw Tank and the Bangas, Day Wave, Milky Chance, and Portugal. The Man, I even got to meet them! At the end of the day, we saw The Killers and The Gorillaz. ACL was the best thing in the world, but that’s another story to tell.

The Magnet Tribune: Zoe Alvarez
Austin City Limits music festival in Austin, TX

Concerts aren’t all stereotypical rock. You have a wide variety of all genres of music to choose from. I’ve gone from rock to alternative to even pop. They are especially thrilling when you go to see your favorite band. Not everything is rock when it comes to concerts. They are incredibly diverse, so don’t worry about your taste in music. Concerts will have exactly what you’re looking for. Whether you are a music lover or a someone who really likes a band, concerts are the best thing for you.

About the Contributor