Coping with a difficult situation

Aryanna Rodriguez, Staff Writer

As we are at the beginning of a New Year, I am so glad that this year has begun way better than last year. There are so many things I have learned in the past 2 years that helped me go into 2018 with confidence and persistence. There is so much that I am looking forward to this year, and so many reasons I am glad 2016 and 2017 are long gone.

I began 2016 with a negative feeling along with negative thoughts. I ended that year not being able to celebrate Christmas and New Year’s. My family and I weren’t able to celebrate those two holidays because we received bad news at the end of 2016, and had to spend time at away from the rest of our relatives. It was definitely one of the worst ways to end the year. Having to spend the holidays without the rest of my relatives is something that I definitely did not enjoy.

Ending 2016 and beginning 2017 in a difficult situation made me realize so many things all at once. I realized how we can sometimes take things for granted and I began to appreciate so many things in my life. Also, I realized how someone’s life can change in the blink of an eye. The situation that my family and I were in really opened my eyes and helped me in many ways.

Even though it might not seem true, coping with a situation helps a lot better than trying to avoid it. Many people cope with situations in different ways. A good way to cope with a difficult situation for your benefit is to deal with whatever situation you may be in.

Some people choose to let a situation get to them and some choose to let it make them a better person. The hardest part about dealing with something is trying not to let it get to you. A way to avoid that is by staying as positive as you can. Persistence is something else that really helps get you through a difficult situation. Without it, your mind can give up as soon as it gets harder on you.

As hard as it was, I chose persistence. I chose to let the situation make me a better person and not let it get the best of me. I believe that that is the reason I am who I am today and the reason am going into 2018 with confidence.